Updated Oct 2, 2013 - 10:53 pm
Quick thoughts on the abrupt departure of LT Levi Brown
• I am trying -- and failing -- to recall the last time an athlete/personality who was this scorned by media and fans alike exited the Phoenix sports scene. Michael Beasley and Linsday Hunter weren't here long enough. Justin Upton and Ken Whisenhunt weren't scorned universally the way Brown was. Rod Graves? Josh Byrnes/AJ Hinch? Wayne Gretzky? Joe Johnson? I don't know.
• Ron Jaworski said that Brown wasn't "fixable." It took Bruce Arians and his staff a few weeks to agree. In the course of Arians' time with the Cardinals, Brown went from "elite" to "correctable" to gone. And even though Arians will get lightly mocked for the "elite" moniker of the offseason, this move shows something I didn't see enough of during the Whisenhunt/ Graves era -- the willingness to try something different when what you were doing wasn't working. Of course, clearing that contract also plays a part.
• And of course, part two: it's much easier to have that sort of attitude when you don't have any real ties to the player you're letting go. Let's see if they display the same willingness to adapt when it's a guy they brought in.
• It would appear Bradley Sowell is the next man up. Obviously the Cardinals will be looking for a left tackle in the offseason either through the draft or free agency. But they would have been doing that with or without Wednesday's move.
• Did the trade make Carson Palmer a better quarterback? Or at the very least a more comfortable, confident quarterback? If Palmer was having trust issues with Brown on his blindside, perhaps. That feeling might last as long as it takes for Palmer to get sacked on a missed block by Sowell.
• This deal says more about the Steelers than it does the Cardinals. Hard times have fallen in the Steel City if they think Levi Brown is the answer to keeping Ben Roethlisberger upright.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- A 'confident' Andre Ellington excited about increased role with Arizona Cardinals
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Fighting not tolerated in Cardinals camp
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.