Report: Cardinals GM Keim never wanted Levi Brown in the first place
More than six years later, it appears they chose wrong.
The Cardinals decide to take Penn State tackle Levi Brown with the fifth pick in the draft, passing on Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson. The move was met with disappointment from many, and the way the respective players' careers have gone has not helped the lineman's cause.
At his best, Brown has been solid. At his best, Peterson has been a Hall of Famer.
Brown was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers Wednesday, ending his tenure in the desert.
It is said hindsight is 20/20, and no one could have predicted exactly how things would have turned out. However, apparently new Cardinals general manager Steve Keim, who was with the team in 2007 but not in a decision-making role, was not a fan of their pick.
The Cardinals took Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson. Then personnel director Steve Keim had to restrain himself in the war room. He's now GM.— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) October 2, 2013
Rod Graves and Ken Whisenhunt wanted a tackle (Brown) & the team had signed Edgerrin James a year earlier. Keim wanted Peterson in worst way— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) October 2, 2013
I know this because I talked to Keim extensively before the draft... and many in the organization before and after...— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) October 2, 2013
It would be easy for Keim to come in after the fact and say he always wanted Peterson given that his name was not attached to the Brown selection and saying he wasn't on board makes him look good.
However, if Silver's report is accurate and Keim was, in fact, stumping for Peterson, then perhaps Cardinals fans can feel pretty good about the man who is now in charge of putting the roster together.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.