Updated Oct 2, 2013 - 9:38 am
Former Cardinals QB Warner: Levi Brown trade 'surprising'
However, while Brown was never charged with protecting Warner's "blind side," the QB, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, has seen the tackle's work up close.
Wednesday morning, Brown was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, ending a disappointing run in the desert.
"A little bit surprising, obviously," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning about the deal, noting that the team re-signed him to a contract last year and had him in the starting lineup this year. "He's struggled at times this year.
"But, I think, on the same note, I'm surprised that Pittsburgh went and traded for him with the fact that he hasn't played necessarily great football up to this point in the season."
That is not to say Warner, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, believes Brown is a lost cause. The future Hall of Famer said Brown is "extremely physically talented," but struggles with the techniques of being an NFL tackle.
"So much of what separates good from great is the ability to have great technique and to rely on that in different situations," he said.
Warner said the 29-year-old Brown needs to figure that part of the game out because, regardless of how talented he may be, it will be the difference in his career.
"But he definitely has physical talent."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.