Updated Oct 2, 2013 - 9:38 am
Former Cardinals QB Warner: Levi Brown trade 'surprising'
However, while Brown was never charged with protecting Warner's "blind side," the QB, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, has seen the tackle's work up close.
Wednesday morning, Brown was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, ending a disappointing run in the desert.
"A little bit surprising, obviously," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning about the deal, noting that the team re-signed him to a contract last year and had him in the starting lineup this year. "He's struggled at times this year.
"But, I think, on the same note, I'm surprised that Pittsburgh went and traded for him with the fact that he hasn't played necessarily great football up to this point in the season."
That is not to say Warner, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, believes Brown is a lost cause. The future Hall of Famer said Brown is "extremely physically talented," but struggles with the techniques of being an NFL tackle.
"So much of what separates good from great is the ability to have great technique and to rely on that in different situations," he said.
Warner said the 29-year-old Brown needs to figure that part of the game out because, regardless of how talented he may be, it will be the difference in his career.
"But he definitely has physical talent."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham's statement
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.