Updated Oct 2, 2013 - 9:38 am
Former Cardinals QB Warner: Levi Brown trade 'surprising'
However, while Brown was never charged with protecting Warner's "blind side," the QB, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, has seen the tackle's work up close.
Wednesday morning, Brown was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, ending a disappointing run in the desert.
"A little bit surprising, obviously," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning about the deal, noting that the team re-signed him to a contract last year and had him in the starting lineup this year. "He's struggled at times this year.
"But, I think, on the same note, I'm surprised that Pittsburgh went and traded for him with the fact that he hasn't played necessarily great football up to this point in the season."
That is not to say Warner, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, believes Brown is a lost cause. The future Hall of Famer said Brown is "extremely physically talented," but struggles with the techniques of being an NFL tackle.
"So much of what separates good from great is the ability to have great technique and to rely on that in different situations," he said.
Warner said the 29-year-old Brown needs to figure that part of the game out because, regardless of how talented he may be, it will be the difference in his career.
"But he definitely has physical talent."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials