Updated Oct 2, 2013 - 9:38 am
Former Cardinals QB Warner: Levi Brown trade 'surprising'
However, while Brown was never charged with protecting Warner's "blind side," the QB, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, has seen the tackle's work up close.
Wednesday morning, Brown was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, ending a disappointing run in the desert.
"A little bit surprising, obviously," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning about the deal, noting that the team re-signed him to a contract last year and had him in the starting lineup this year. "He's struggled at times this year.
"But, I think, on the same note, I'm surprised that Pittsburgh went and traded for him with the fact that he hasn't played necessarily great football up to this point in the season."
That is not to say Warner, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, believes Brown is a lost cause. The future Hall of Famer said Brown is "extremely physically talented," but struggles with the techniques of being an NFL tackle.
"So much of what separates good from great is the ability to have great technique and to rely on that in different situations," he said.
Warner said the 29-year-old Brown needs to figure that part of the game out because, regardless of how talented he may be, it will be the difference in his career.
"But he definitely has physical talent."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.