No such thing as margin of victory
Look no further than the opposing sideline this past Sunday (which, by the way, was not in the direct Florida sunshine like the visiting sideline, as the pencilneck sideline radio guy felt like a slow-roasted rotisserie chicken by the time the Cards mounted a comeback late in the fourth quarter in Tampa).
To date, the Buccaneers have lost three games by a grand total of a half-dozen points. Simply add the Cards' 13-10 win to the fact that the Bucs lost their first two games by a combined three points. Ouch. #NoMath
In the NFL, the scoreboard might indicate that teams are on the verge of winning games, but objects in the rear view mirror are not closer than they appear.
"They're all going to be tough. They're all going to be tight," Bruce Arians said during our postgame radio interview when I asked him what the Cardinals might've learned in Tampa. "The game is played for 60 minutes and it doesn't matter really what goes on as long as you can maintain the chase that something good is going to happen. I thought the fourth quarter was some of the best football we've played all year. "
And that's how the Cardinals have overcome converting just two of 21 third down situations in their two wins to date. In some way, a team has to find a way. For example, Patrick Peterson paved with the way with a pair of picks.
(Note: Calvisi Consulting suggests that P-Twice needs to coin his own tongue-twister. "Patrick Peterson picked a peck of pickled pigskins. A peck of pickled pigskins Patrick Peterson picked…" Hmmm.)
Anyway, the point here in pointing out that points are not the point is that, unless you're an absolute outlier on the data grid (Ex: Jacksonville), there is no such thing as margin of victory. It doesn't exist. At the very least, it doesn't matter.
Paul Calvisi, Morning Sports Anchor - 92.3 KTAR/Arizona Sports 620
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.