CBS Insider: Cards should 'think very hard' about drafting QB early
But just four games into his career in Arizona, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora says the Cardinals "have to think very hard" about drafting a quarterback early in the 2014 draft, though Palmer's under contract through 2015.
Palmer has been OK during his time with the Cardinals, completing 57.2 percent of his passes for 1,010 yards, though he's thrown six interceptions to go with just four touchdowns. While he's a drastic improvement over what the Cardinals had in place before him, he doesn't look like someone who can be relied on to lead them to the playoffs.
The Cardinals will likely find themselves picking anywhere from the early-to-mid first round, and the 2014 quarterback class is expected to be a significant improvement over last year's draft.
Some of the names that could be available when the Cardinals make their early selections include Georgia's Aaron Murray, Clemson's Tajh Boyd, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Oregon's Marcus Mariota and UCLA's Brett Hundley, as well as several athletic quarterbacks that could make for an interesting project like Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel or Ohio State's Braxton Miller.
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.