CBS Insider: Cards should 'think very hard' about drafting QB early
But just four games into his career in Arizona, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora says the Cardinals "have to think very hard" about drafting a quarterback early in the 2014 draft, though Palmer's under contract through 2015.
Palmer has been OK during his time with the Cardinals, completing 57.2 percent of his passes for 1,010 yards, though he's thrown six interceptions to go with just four touchdowns. While he's a drastic improvement over what the Cardinals had in place before him, he doesn't look like someone who can be relied on to lead them to the playoffs.
The Cardinals will likely find themselves picking anywhere from the early-to-mid first round, and the 2014 quarterback class is expected to be a significant improvement over last year's draft.
Some of the names that could be available when the Cardinals make their early selections include Georgia's Aaron Murray, Clemson's Tajh Boyd, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Oregon's Marcus Mariota and UCLA's Brett Hundley, as well as several athletic quarterbacks that could make for an interesting project like Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel or Ohio State's Braxton Miller.
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!