Defensive help on the way for Arizona Cardinals
The team has lost outside linebackers Sam Acho, Lorenzo Alexander and Alex Okafor for the season. Pro Bowl inside linebacker Daryl Washington has yet to play a snap due to a four-game substance abuse suspension. And defensive tackle Dan Williams has missed the last two games following the death of his father.
Despite being short-handed Sunday, the Arizona defense played a strong game, helping the Cardinals to a 13-10 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
The good news is, help is on the way.
General manager Steve Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Monday morning that Washington, Williams and safety Rashad Johnson, who missed Sunday's game with a finger injury, should be ready to go when the Cardinals host Carolina in Glendale.
"I told Bruce (Arians) last night, I may meet Daryl this morning at the door with a big hug," Keim said. "That speed on defense, his ability to apply pressure and cover those backs and tight ends was sorely missed.
"Dan Williams should be back either (Monday or Tuesday). His father's funeral was Saturday and then Rashad Johnson is still day-to-day, but once I talk to the medical staff this afternoon, I'll have a better idea."
Keim is thrilled to get Washington back from suspension, and knows the fourth-year pro will help a great deal.
"He's a dynamic player," Keim said. "Again, any type of player that can cover backs and tight ends, doesn't have to change your defense from a sub standpoint -- he's a three-down player -- and obviously, when you talk about a guy who can bring pressure in the A-gap, off the edge, can come from multiple spots with the foot speed and the explosiveness that he plays with, he's a top-five linebacker in the NFL, in my opinion.
"I think you're going to see this weekend, he's going to play with a ball of rage."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!