Updated Sep 29, 2013 - 12:12 am
Carson Palmer nearly went to Tampa Bay, ESPN's Schefter says
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had their eye on then-Oakland quarterback Carson Palmer over the summer, and even had deep discussions with the Raiders to get the 33-year-old signal caller.
Tampa planned it out. It had extensive talks to try to get a trade done. A deal was within its grasp, so much so that the Buccaneers believed Palmer would be theirs.
And just when the Buccaneers thought they would land him, the Cardinals stepped in and made an offer the Raiders could not refuse. Arizona, not Tampa, got the trade done.
In the end, one of Palmer's agents, Dave Dunn, helped steer his client to Arizona instead of Tampa Bay.
Arizona landed Palmer on April 2 while swapping draft picks with the Raiders and offering them a conditional 2014 pick. Palmer signed a new deal with the Cardinals.
Schefter said the Buccaneers were worried about the efficiency of quarterback Josh Freeman entering the season. Those concerns have already materialized, as they have gone with rookie Mike Glennon as the starter Sunday against Arizona.
How odd that in the very week in which Freeman was removed as the starter, the Buccaneers will be playing against the very quarterback they plotted to land in case this very scenario emerged. One way or another, Palmer always was going to be playing in Tampa in the fourth week of this season.
Entering Sunday's game, Palmer has completed 57.9 percent of his passes for 762 yards, three touchdowns and four interceptions in three starts for Arizona.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.