ESPN's Jaworski: Hope still for Bucs' Freeman, Cardinals possible destination
Only two years ago, Freeman was considered one of the top young quarterbacks in the league, set to be the Bucs' franchise player for years to come. Now it seems that Tampa Bay has moved on from the fifth-year player, but there are still supporters of Freeman around the league, including ESPN's Ron Jaworski.
Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday that he believes Freeman is a talented quarterback who needs a new situation to succeed.
"There was a stretch last year of about six games where I thought he was the best quarterback in the NFL. He was playing at a very high level," Jaworksi said, before adding what he thinks went wrong for Freeman. "When you have an incredible, talented quarterback, you've got to coach him and you've got to coach him hard. And then you've got to coach other players around him. I don't think that's happening in Tampa Bay."
Unhappy with the benching, Freeman has reportedly requested a trade in the hopes of another starting opportunity in the NFL, and Jaworski thinks he'll be a hot commodity. Among the teams potentially interested are the Cardinals, according to Jaworski, as Carson Palmer isn't a long-term fix and the 25-year-old Freeman still has room to develop.
"I would be very surprised if the Cardinals would not kick the tires," he said. "But I will guarantee there will be a lot of teams calling (general manager) Mark Dominik in Tampa Bay about making a deal for Josh Freeman."
Freeman is an unrestricted free agent after this year and has an almost $10 million cap hit, which could prevent teams from trading for him in-season.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.