Cardinals' defensive line to attend funeral for Dan Williams' father
Just hours before the team was supposed to leave for New Orleans Saturday, starting nose tackle Dan Williams received tragic news that his father, Thomas Williams, was killed in a car accident near Jackson, Miss. while driving to watch his son play in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
Williams was excused from the game against the Saints to be with his family and will once again be out of lineup when the Cardinals take on the Buccaneers Sunday.
While the former first-round pick hasn't spoken to the media since his father's passing, fellow defensive lineman Calais Campbell spoke on his teammate's status Thursday.
"Dan is doing pretty good, relatively speaking for what he's going through," Campbell said. "Dan is probably my best friend in the whole NFL. I see him as a brother and got to know his family over the years, and he knows my family pretty well.
"This week, especially with Tampa Bay being a running team, we could use him. But we're going to be there to support him."
Not just in spirit as it turns out, but in body as well.
"The whole defensive line is going to fly out out after the walk-through to go to the funeral [in Memphis Saturday] and then fly back for the nighttime meeting," said Campbell. "It's going to be good to see him. You know, just show him some love and be there for him. We look forward to him getting back here next week."
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b