Updated Sep 27, 2013 - 9:09 am
ESPN's John Clayton: Bucs quarterback Mike Glennon 'not ready for prime time'
"To make this move now, to me, is very curious," Clayton told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "Because when you looked at the preseason, Mike Glennon wasn't there. And even people who are watching him in the preseason say he's not ready for prime time at this stage.
"He's kind of statuesque, and that's not a real positive, in the pocket -- I mean he is kind of like a statue anyway when he throws."
Clayton cited Glennon's struggles in the preseason as well. The North Carolina State product completed just 47.1 percent (33-of-70) of his throws for 397 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions in four exhibition games.
There are other factors which Clayton believes will make things difficult for Glennon in his maiden NFL voyage.
"Has (Bucs head coach) Greg Schiano not looked at the injury list," he asked. "Vincent Jackson has not practiced this week. Also, Mike Williams has not practiced this week. There's a chance that one or two of those guys aren't going to be able to play.
"To put in a quarterback, who in his last preseason game completed 43 percent of his passes? Very curious."
When the Bucs made the move earlier this week, Arizona head coach Bruce Arians said he thought it gave the Cardinals an advantage.
Glennon replaces Josh Freeman, who became Tampa Bay's starting quarterback during his rookie season in 2009 and has compiled a 24-35 record in his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?