Updated Sep 27, 2013 - 9:09 am
ESPN's John Clayton: Bucs quarterback Mike Glennon 'not ready for prime time'
"To make this move now, to me, is very curious," Clayton told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "Because when you looked at the preseason, Mike Glennon wasn't there. And even people who are watching him in the preseason say he's not ready for prime time at this stage.
"He's kind of statuesque, and that's not a real positive, in the pocket -- I mean he is kind of like a statue anyway when he throws."
Clayton cited Glennon's struggles in the preseason as well. The North Carolina State product completed just 47.1 percent (33-of-70) of his throws for 397 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions in four exhibition games.
There are other factors which Clayton believes will make things difficult for Glennon in his maiden NFL voyage.
"Has (Bucs head coach) Greg Schiano not looked at the injury list," he asked. "Vincent Jackson has not practiced this week. Also, Mike Williams has not practiced this week. There's a chance that one or two of those guys aren't going to be able to play.
"To put in a quarterback, who in his last preseason game completed 43 percent of his passes? Very curious."
When the Bucs made the move earlier this week, Arizona head coach Bruce Arians said he thought it gave the Cardinals an advantage.
Glennon replaces Josh Freeman, who became Tampa Bay's starting quarterback during his rookie season in 2009 and has compiled a 24-35 record in his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!