Updated Sep 27, 2013 - 9:09 am
ESPN's John Clayton: Bucs quarterback Mike Glennon 'not ready for prime time'
"To make this move now, to me, is very curious," Clayton told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "Because when you looked at the preseason, Mike Glennon wasn't there. And even people who are watching him in the preseason say he's not ready for prime time at this stage.
"He's kind of statuesque, and that's not a real positive, in the pocket -- I mean he is kind of like a statue anyway when he throws."
Clayton cited Glennon's struggles in the preseason as well. The North Carolina State product completed just 47.1 percent (33-of-70) of his throws for 397 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions in four exhibition games.
There are other factors which Clayton believes will make things difficult for Glennon in his maiden NFL voyage.
"Has (Bucs head coach) Greg Schiano not looked at the injury list," he asked. "Vincent Jackson has not practiced this week. Also, Mike Williams has not practiced this week. There's a chance that one or two of those guys aren't going to be able to play.
"To put in a quarterback, who in his last preseason game completed 43 percent of his passes? Very curious."
When the Bucs made the move earlier this week, Arizona head coach Bruce Arians said he thought it gave the Cardinals an advantage.
Glennon replaces Josh Freeman, who became Tampa Bay's starting quarterback during his rookie season in 2009 and has compiled a 24-35 record in his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?