Updated Sep 27, 2013 - 9:09 am
ESPN's John Clayton: Bucs quarterback Mike Glennon 'not ready for prime time'
"To make this move now, to me, is very curious," Clayton told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "Because when you looked at the preseason, Mike Glennon wasn't there. And even people who are watching him in the preseason say he's not ready for prime time at this stage.
"He's kind of statuesque, and that's not a real positive, in the pocket -- I mean he is kind of like a statue anyway when he throws."
Clayton cited Glennon's struggles in the preseason as well. The North Carolina State product completed just 47.1 percent (33-of-70) of his throws for 397 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions in four exhibition games.
There are other factors which Clayton believes will make things difficult for Glennon in his maiden NFL voyage.
"Has (Bucs head coach) Greg Schiano not looked at the injury list," he asked. "Vincent Jackson has not practiced this week. Also, Mike Williams has not practiced this week. There's a chance that one or two of those guys aren't going to be able to play.
"To put in a quarterback, who in his last preseason game completed 43 percent of his passes? Very curious."
When the Bucs made the move earlier this week, Arizona head coach Bruce Arians said he thought it gave the Cardinals an advantage.
Glennon replaces Josh Freeman, who became Tampa Bay's starting quarterback during his rookie season in 2009 and has compiled a 24-35 record in his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?