Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles: Because of injuries, we'll play in 3-4 and 4-3 base
When the Arizona Cardinals take on the Tampa Buccaneers Sunday afternoon, their linebacking corps -- especially on the outside -- will look significantly different from the unit that played in the team's 31-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints in Week 3.
Gone are Sam Acho (broken fibula), Lorenzo Alexander (Lisfranc fracture) and Alex Okafor (torn biceps tendon), who all suffered season-ending injuries.
In their place on the active roster are Dontay Moch and Kenny Demens, who have combined to play in one NFL regular season game.
With the absence of three experienced outside linebackers, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles was asked Thursday if he's contemplating a switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base.
"It's not that difficult," Bowles said of switching between the two schemes. "We have 4-3 guys, and we do play 4-3 during the course of a ballgame. We don't just stay in 3-4. It's just a matter of having the right people outside doing the right thing at the right time.
"Some of those guys are inside guys and can't play outside. It's a good mix. We have guys who we can play with and still have outside backers in a 4-3 some. It'll be mixed up some [Sunday]."
With Acho, Alexander and Okafor all done for the 2013 campaign, the onus will largely fall on veterans John Abraham and Matt Shaughnessy to play exclusively at outside linebacker. Both, however, have spent most of their respective careers at defensive end.
Bowles, though, isn't all that worried about the positional adjustment.
"John came in as a 3-4 backer in New York, so he's done it before," said Bowles. "He hasn't done it in a while, but he's done it before. And Matt played more of an undersized end in Oakland, so he's done it before."
"A 3-4 defense is really just an under 4-3, depending on the guys you have and who can rush and who can't rush. "We're confident in those guys and the things they can do."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?