Updated Sep 26, 2013 - 11:50 am
Cardinals' Okafor disappointed about lost season, opportunity
Despite the injury, Okafor, a fourth round draft pick out of Texas, remains optimistic.
"I was a little disappointed, it was my opportunity to kind of step in and help the team out but unfortunate things happen," Okafor said. "It's in the past and I just got to look forward to next season."
Okafor added he could have tried to play through the injury but decided it was in his best interest to have the surgery.
"At this point in my career, it wasn't worth playing through," Okafor said. "I still have a lot of football left in me and I don't want that to be a hampering injury throughout my career."
The injury occurred during Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints on a special teams play. Okafor attempted to grab an opposing player, but the Saint, "kind of ran through my arm, kind of overextended it and it popped." He said the adrenaline numbed the pain until after the game, at which point he knew something was wrong.
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.