Updated Sep 26, 2013 - 11:50 am
Cardinals' Okafor disappointed about lost season, opportunity
Despite the injury, Okafor, a fourth round draft pick out of Texas, remains optimistic.
"I was a little disappointed, it was my opportunity to kind of step in and help the team out but unfortunate things happen," Okafor said. "It's in the past and I just got to look forward to next season."
Okafor added he could have tried to play through the injury but decided it was in his best interest to have the surgery.
"At this point in my career, it wasn't worth playing through," Okafor said. "I still have a lot of football left in me and I don't want that to be a hampering injury throughout my career."
The injury occurred during Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints on a special teams play. Okafor attempted to grab an opposing player, but the Saint, "kind of ran through my arm, kind of overextended it and it popped." He said the adrenaline numbed the pain until after the game, at which point he knew something was wrong.
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.