Updated Sep 26, 2013 - 11:50 am
Cardinals' Okafor disappointed about lost season, opportunity
Despite the injury, Okafor, a fourth round draft pick out of Texas, remains optimistic.
"I was a little disappointed, it was my opportunity to kind of step in and help the team out but unfortunate things happen," Okafor said. "It's in the past and I just got to look forward to next season."
Okafor added he could have tried to play through the injury but decided it was in his best interest to have the surgery.
"At this point in my career, it wasn't worth playing through," Okafor said. "I still have a lot of football left in me and I don't want that to be a hampering injury throughout my career."
The injury occurred during Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints on a special teams play. Okafor attempted to grab an opposing player, but the Saint, "kind of ran through my arm, kind of overextended it and it popped." He said the adrenaline numbed the pain until after the game, at which point he knew something was wrong.
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.