Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 10:42 am
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on facing rookie QB Glennon: 'We should have an advantage'
Tha changed Wednesday when Bucs head coach Greg Schiano pulled the trigger on a quarterback change, benching Freeman in favor of Mike Glennon, who will be making his first NFL start against Arizona.
So, exactly how much does that change Arizona's defensive game plan?
"It really does, but you prepare for their offense," Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said Wednesday. "Josh (Freeman) brought special things as far as athleticism, Mike (Glennon) brings a big, strong arm."
As is usually the case, there is a bit of a surprise element when a quarterback change is made, especially so early in the season.
"They obviously felt it was needed, I don't know why, not being a part of their organization," Arians said. "But any time you face a rookie quarterback, you know that it's his first time out there.
"We should have an advantage, I think."
Glennon, a third-round pick out of North Carolina State, was the third quarterback selected in the 2013 NFL Draft in April. While he has yet to take a snap in the regular season, Glennon did throw for 397 yards and three touchdowns in four preseason contests for Tampa Bay.
"I loved him," Arians said when asked about his impressions of Glennon entering the draft. "Big, strong arm, big, tall guy. I knew his older brother, good family, good football family.
"He's tough, a good leader. Obviously, he supplanted Russell Wilson (at North Carolina State), so that says a lot about him."
Glennon will be the fourth rookie quarterback since 2010 to make his first professional start against the Cardinals.
In 2010, Arizona beat St. Louis 17-13 in Sam Bradford's debut. On Opening Day 2011, the Cardinals survived a 422-yard outburst from Carolina's Cam Newton to beat the Panthers 28-21. And in the 2012 season-opener, Arizona defeated Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks 20-16.
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b