Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 8:34 am
Arizona Cardinals to face Tampa Bay rookie QB Mike Glennon Sunday
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, league sources told him that Tampa Bay head coach Greg Schiano has made the decision to bench quarterback Josh Freeman in favor of rookie third-round draft pick Mike Glennon, who will start Sunday when the Buccaneers play host to the Arizona Cardinals.
Freeman, a former first-round pick, became Tampa Bay's starter midway through his rookie season in 2009. Since then, he's compiled a 24-35 record. This season, Freeman has completed only 45.7 percent of his passes for 571 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. His passer rating of 59.3 is the worst mark in the league among 33 qualified quarterbacks.
Glennon, out of North Carolina State, was the third quarterback selected in the 2013 NFL Draft, behind Buffalo's EJ Manuel (first round, 16th pick) and Geno Smith of the Jets (second round, 39th pick). The 6-foot-7 Glennon threw for 4,031 yards and 31 touchdowns in his senior season for the Wolfpack.
He has yet to take a snap in a regular-season NFL game, but did complete 33-of-70 passes for 397 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.