Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 8:34 am
Arizona Cardinals to face Tampa Bay rookie QB Mike Glennon Sunday
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, league sources told him that Tampa Bay head coach Greg Schiano has made the decision to bench quarterback Josh Freeman in favor of rookie third-round draft pick Mike Glennon, who will start Sunday when the Buccaneers play host to the Arizona Cardinals.
Freeman, a former first-round pick, became Tampa Bay's starter midway through his rookie season in 2009. Since then, he's compiled a 24-35 record. This season, Freeman has completed only 45.7 percent of his passes for 571 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. His passer rating of 59.3 is the worst mark in the league among 33 qualified quarterbacks.
Glennon, out of North Carolina State, was the third quarterback selected in the 2013 NFL Draft, behind Buffalo's EJ Manuel (first round, 16th pick) and Geno Smith of the Jets (second round, 39th pick). The 6-foot-7 Glennon threw for 4,031 yards and 31 touchdowns in his senior season for the Wolfpack.
He has yet to take a snap in a regular-season NFL game, but did complete 33-of-70 passes for 397 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!