Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 8:34 am
Arizona Cardinals to face Tampa Bay rookie QB Mike Glennon Sunday
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, league sources told him that Tampa Bay head coach Greg Schiano has made the decision to bench quarterback Josh Freeman in favor of rookie third-round draft pick Mike Glennon, who will start Sunday when the Buccaneers play host to the Arizona Cardinals.
Freeman, a former first-round pick, became Tampa Bay's starter midway through his rookie season in 2009. Since then, he's compiled a 24-35 record. This season, Freeman has completed only 45.7 percent of his passes for 571 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. His passer rating of 59.3 is the worst mark in the league among 33 qualified quarterbacks.
Glennon, out of North Carolina State, was the third quarterback selected in the 2013 NFL Draft, behind Buffalo's EJ Manuel (first round, 16th pick) and Geno Smith of the Jets (second round, 39th pick). The 6-foot-7 Glennon threw for 4,031 yards and 31 touchdowns in his senior season for the Wolfpack.
He has yet to take a snap in a regular-season NFL game, but did complete 33-of-70 passes for 397 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up