Pro Football Focus: Cardinals' Palmer poor under pressure
In the team's 31-7 defeat, Palmer completed 18-of-35 passes for 187 yards and threw interceptions while not registering a touchdown. His quarterback rating was 43.4, his lowest since Dec. 11, 2011, when he was with the Oakland Raiders.
While the offensive line could do a better job protecting Palmer, as he was sacked four times, he has not done well when the pressure has reached him. According to Pro Football Focus, he could not have been much worse.
He struggled when pressured, completing just one of nine attempts here and throwing a pick to leave him an imperfect 0.0 QB rating.
When a quarterback struggles against pressure it makes those instances stand out far more, and as a result can leave you exiting a game thinking there was a ton more pressure than there actually was. Take this game for example, on 39 drop-backs he was pressured on a third of them. Not great from the protection unit by any stretch, but not as bad as it seems, especially with one of the sacks being the result of Palmer getting spooked and climbing the pocket in such a way that his linemen would lose their leverage (Q3, 8:27).
Though Palmer got off to a good start against the St. Louis Rams, in the two games since, he's struggled to maintain that performance. Improving the offensive line play is clearly the top priority for the Cardinals' offense, but as PFF pointed out, they haven't been as dreadful as it appears.
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.