Cards' Alexander not discouraged by season-ending injury
Alexander's ability to understand defensive schemes and mentor younger players also played a major role — and that's one he'll be around to fill despite being placed on season-ending injured reserve on Monday with a Lisfranc injury.
"A lot of the time, IR guys just kind of disappear and become ghosts," Alexander said. "I told the coaches I'll be in a lot. I know they brought me in for more than just football. My role is to facilitate the learning process for the guys they bring in.
"We have a lot of guys hurt now and a lot of younger guys will be in critical situations. Any way I can speed up their learning curve, I'm gonna be there to do it."
Matt Shaughnessy and John Abraham — who bring 19 years of combined NFL experience — will likely fill the void left at Alexander's weak-side linebacker spot, and the team elevated third-year linebacker Dontay Moch from its practice squad Monday for additional depth.
Alexander said he'll undergo surgery Tuesday, and that Robert Anderson — a North Carolina-based surgeon who's widely recognized as an expert on LIsfranc injuries — will perform the operation. Alexander added that this is the first time suffering a season-ending injury in 17 years of playing organized football.
Alexander said he's also seen defensive lineman Dan Williams go through enough this week — his dad was killed in a car crash while driving to New Orleans for Sunday's game — to remind him that a foot injury is just a minor setback.
"Just because this isn't part of what I thought would happen doesn't mean I should be sad or down," Alexander said. "The situation with Dan and his dad, it puts into perspective that this is temporary."
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b