Cards' Alexander not discouraged by season-ending injury
Alexander's ability to understand defensive schemes and mentor younger players also played a major role — and that's one he'll be around to fill despite being placed on season-ending injured reserve on Monday with a Lisfranc injury.
"A lot of the time, IR guys just kind of disappear and become ghosts," Alexander said. "I told the coaches I'll be in a lot. I know they brought me in for more than just football. My role is to facilitate the learning process for the guys they bring in.
"We have a lot of guys hurt now and a lot of younger guys will be in critical situations. Any way I can speed up their learning curve, I'm gonna be there to do it."
Matt Shaughnessy and John Abraham — who bring 19 years of combined NFL experience — will likely fill the void left at Alexander's weak-side linebacker spot, and the team elevated third-year linebacker Dontay Moch from its practice squad Monday for additional depth.
Alexander said he'll undergo surgery Tuesday, and that Robert Anderson — a North Carolina-based surgeon who's widely recognized as an expert on LIsfranc injuries — will perform the operation. Alexander added that this is the first time suffering a season-ending injury in 17 years of playing organized football.
Alexander said he's also seen defensive lineman Dan Williams go through enough this week — his dad was killed in a car crash while driving to New Orleans for Sunday's game — to remind him that a foot injury is just a minor setback.
"Just because this isn't part of what I thought would happen doesn't mean I should be sad or down," Alexander said. "The situation with Dan and his dad, it puts into perspective that this is temporary."
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.