Cardinals coach on Patrick Peterson's play against Calvin Johnson: 'I thought it was outstanding'
But outside of Johnson's 72-yard touchdown reception in the first half, head coach Bruce Arians came away rather impressed with the two-time Pro Bowler's performance against one of the league's most-talented wideouts.
"I thought it was outstanding," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta. "Just the fact that he wanted to [cover Johnson]. Most guys would shiver at that thought.
"They don't see man-to-man very often. I think it throws Matthew [Stafford] off when they're not double-teaming Calvin [Johnson], like where do I go with this football if he's not open?"
With the help of Peterson, who limited Johnson to two catches for 20 yards after halftime, the Cardinals' defense pitched a shutout over the final 30 minutes of play, forcing three 3-and-outs, a fumble and a turnover on downs in the process.
While the lack of a pass rush (one sack in two games) -- at least on paper -- appears to be a bit of a concern in 2013, Stafford's lack of production in the second half (8-for-16 for 70 yards and no touchdowns) was enough to convince Arians that things are just fine when it comes to the unit's ability to put pressure on the quarterback.
"We were able to pressure them," said Arians. "The sacks are a bit of a false security thing. As far as having one sack, we got after him a bunch of times."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.