Cardinals coach on Patrick Peterson's play against Calvin Johnson: 'I thought it was outstanding'
But outside of Johnson's 72-yard touchdown reception in the first half, head coach Bruce Arians came away rather impressed with the two-time Pro Bowler's performance against one of the league's most-talented wideouts.
"I thought it was outstanding," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta. "Just the fact that he wanted to [cover Johnson]. Most guys would shiver at that thought.
"They don't see man-to-man very often. I think it throws Matthew [Stafford] off when they're not double-teaming Calvin [Johnson], like where do I go with this football if he's not open?"
With the help of Peterson, who limited Johnson to two catches for 20 yards after halftime, the Cardinals' defense pitched a shutout over the final 30 minutes of play, forcing three 3-and-outs, a fumble and a turnover on downs in the process.
While the lack of a pass rush (one sack in two games) -- at least on paper -- appears to be a bit of a concern in 2013, Stafford's lack of production in the second half (8-for-16 for 70 yards and no touchdowns) was enough to convince Arians that things are just fine when it comes to the unit's ability to put pressure on the quarterback.
"We were able to pressure them," said Arians. "The sacks are a bit of a false security thing. As far as having one sack, we got after him a bunch of times."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.