Cardinals coach on Patrick Peterson's play against Calvin Johnson: 'I thought it was outstanding'
But outside of Johnson's 72-yard touchdown reception in the first half, head coach Bruce Arians came away rather impressed with the two-time Pro Bowler's performance against one of the league's most-talented wideouts.
"I thought it was outstanding," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta. "Just the fact that he wanted to [cover Johnson]. Most guys would shiver at that thought.
"They don't see man-to-man very often. I think it throws Matthew [Stafford] off when they're not double-teaming Calvin [Johnson], like where do I go with this football if he's not open?"
With the help of Peterson, who limited Johnson to two catches for 20 yards after halftime, the Cardinals' defense pitched a shutout over the final 30 minutes of play, forcing three 3-and-outs, a fumble and a turnover on downs in the process.
While the lack of a pass rush (one sack in two games) -- at least on paper -- appears to be a bit of a concern in 2013, Stafford's lack of production in the second half (8-for-16 for 70 yards and no touchdowns) was enough to convince Arians that things are just fine when it comes to the unit's ability to put pressure on the quarterback.
"We were able to pressure them," said Arians. "The sacks are a bit of a false security thing. As far as having one sack, we got after him a bunch of times."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!