Cards LT Brown: Causes of struggles are correctable
"I can handle it," Brown said. "The spotlight's always on me. I get back to work Wednesday and I'll do what I gotta do."
The line allowed pressure on 15 of Carson Palmer's 44 dropbacks, according to Pro Football Focus, with Brown and right tackle Eric Winston each allowing five. Though Pro Football Focus gave Brown a -2.8 grade in pass protection, he was the only Cardinals offensive lineman to grade positive for run blocking.
Head coach Bruce Arians said a left tackle's struggles stand out more than any other position on the line, and while Brown "reverted back" to bad habits in technique at times, he was able to stop Rams defensive end Robert Quinn "a bunch," and was effective in the run game.
"You do poorly on four plays (three sacks and one holding penalty), they're really going to stand out at left tackle," Arians said. "When you give up the big ones and there are sack-fumbles, there is concern. But I think they are correctable."
Cardinals general manager Steve Keim had a slightly different take on Brown's struggles.
"There's no way to sugar coat it," Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "I take it personal, because it wasn't good enough. And I think it starts with me. It comes down to making sure that (offensive coordinator) Harold Goodwin and (offensive line coach) Larry Zierlein continue to work with him."
Brown and Arians said much of his struggles are technique related, specifically regarding his hand placement in pass protection.
"Obviously what they told me is correctable," said Brown, who saw his first regular-season action since 2011 on Sunday after suffering a torn right triceps last preseason. "Whether there was or wasn't rust, that's not the result I wanted to get."
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Report: Bengals cornerback fined for hit on Arizona Cardinals' Ted Ginn
- Arizona Cardinals preseason: By The Numbers
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.