Updated Sep 9, 2013 - 2:15 pm
Despite big game, Cardinals WR Andre Roberts focused on wins
The fourth-year wide receiver caught eight passes -- including four on third downs -- for 97 yards in the 27-24 loss in St. Louis.
Despite his strong performance, Roberts said Monday he's more focused on wins than personal success.
"I'm happy I did some good things out there...but the biggest part is trying to come out with a win," The Citadel product said.
"Special teams, defense, offense, we have to take it to another level. We can't lose those kinds of games -- those division games -- late in the fourth quarter like that."
Roberts had a career-best season in 2012, when he caught 64 passes for 759 yards and five touchdowns, but he said he's looking forward to improved quarterback stability and a more efficient offense than last year.
"We have the right plays, the right game plan, the right coaches and the right players. We've got a lot of good things going on, we just have to execute on Sunday," he said. "Our offense can be explosive. We will always have that capability with the play-calling that we have."
Roberts was also hit hard a few times against the Rams when the ball was thrown his way.
"It was a little tougher than most weeks," he said. "Of course, the first week you're probably more sore than any other week because you're not used to getting hit so much (in the preseason). But, yeah, that was a rough game."
The hit he said he feels the most after happened near the end of the first half. With the Cardinals starting a drive at their own 20-yard line with less than 30 seconds left, Roberts caught a pass on second down over the middle for 19 yards and was flattened by the Rams' Rodney McLeod. The catch helped the Cardinals get into field-goal position before time ran out in the quarter.
"I felt that one in the neck and shoulders a little bit this morning," Roberts said.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?