Sunday you saw the typical Carson Palmer, good and bad
It would and will be easy to bag on Levi Brown this week and all year. He is awful and everyone knows it. But instead of the obvious let's break down Carson Palmer.
I've never been a big fan. To me he is just OK, an average quarterback. Clearly average is a huge upgrade over what they had last year and average will give them a chance to win games.
On Sunday you saw the typical Palmer. He was good and bad. He threw for 327 yards and two touchdowns. He also threw a costly interception and had a huge fumble.
He did enough to put the Cardinals up by 11 late in the third quarter then did nothing in the fourth quarter when they needed him most. After his 25-yard touchdown to Larry Fitzgerald with 1:47 left in the third quarter put Arizona up 24-13, Palmer preceded to go 4-8 for 32 yards with a sack and fumble on the Cardinals next three possessions.
He threw for 29 yards on the final possession when the Rams were giving him the middle of the field with 40 ticks of the clock left and Arizona having no timeouts. He was also sacked on a play he should have spiked the ball during that final drive.
So four total possessions in the fourth quarter and zero points plus a turnover that led to three points for St. Louis.
Palmer was under pressure much of the game because Brown is, well, he's bad, bad Levi Brown worst left tackle in the whole dang town.
But when Arizona needed a drive Palmer couldn't deliver. So, yes, Palmer kept them in the game, he put them in a position to win, but in the end of a very winnable game he couldn't close the game out.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.