Cardinals wide receiver Andre Roberts steps up with big game in 2013 opener
Call it the product of having another year of experience or the result of having a competent quarterback behind center, but Roberts opened 2013 with a bang and a bit of a coming out party in Arizona's 27-24 loss to St. Louis Sunday, grabbing eight passes for a team-high 97 yards.
Of his eight catches, four came during third down situations.
"I'm sure I had every single one of them," Roberts said of his confidence on the field. "That's what I want to do for my quarterback. Any time he throws me the ball, I want to come down with it."
The former Citadel standout did just that, as he converted on eight of nine passes thrown his way -- including several that required athletic dives to the turf.
Big game or not, Roberts still didn't sound too impressed with himself or the team after the game.
"There were a few touch catches," said Roberts. "But at the end of the day, all I do is look at the scoreboard. [The catches] are all for naught, we're trying to win the game."
For a first game, though, Roberts, who had a career-high 759 yards receiving and five touchdowns in 2012, admitted there were some positives to take away from the loss -- at least in the passing game.
"It was pretty good," said Roberts. "Obviously, we could do better. We always want to do better and left some things out there. But right now we just want to work and get better. It was just our first game."
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves