Updated Sep 9, 2013 - 3:00 pm
Tyrann Mathieu's forced fumble sparks first scoring drive for Cardinals
With the game tied at 0-0, the St. Louis Rams were driving late in the first quarter. With the ball at the Rams 45-yard line, quarterback Sam Bradford found tight end Jared Cook streaking over the middle behind linebacker Karlos Dansby.
However, as Cook made his way towards the end zone, Mathieu, who was covering St. Louis wide receiver Tavon Austin, came hard in pursuit and managed to smack the football out and past the goal line.
Dansby recovered the football for a touchback, and the turnover led to an 80-yard scoring drive by Arizona, capped off by a four-yard touchdown pass from Carson Palmer to Larry Fitzgerald.
According to Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi, as Fitzgerald came to the sideline he handed the touchdown ball to Mathieu and said, "That's all you, man. That's all you."
During his two years at LSU (2010-11), Mathieu had seven career forced fumbles.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.