Updated Sep 9, 2013 - 3:00 pm
Tyrann Mathieu's forced fumble sparks first scoring drive for Cardinals
With the game tied at 0-0, the St. Louis Rams were driving late in the first quarter. With the ball at the Rams 45-yard line, quarterback Sam Bradford found tight end Jared Cook streaking over the middle behind linebacker Karlos Dansby.
However, as Cook made his way towards the end zone, Mathieu, who was covering St. Louis wide receiver Tavon Austin, came hard in pursuit and managed to smack the football out and past the goal line.
Dansby recovered the football for a touchback, and the turnover led to an 80-yard scoring drive by Arizona, capped off by a four-yard touchdown pass from Carson Palmer to Larry Fitzgerald.
According to Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi, as Fitzgerald came to the sideline he handed the touchdown ball to Mathieu and said, "That's all you, man. That's all you."
During his two years at LSU (2010-11), Mathieu had seven career forced fumbles.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.