Cardinals' Arians ready, butterfly-filled for Sunday
Asked by the media Friday whether he'd have butterflies prior to Sunday's season opener versus the Rams in the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Bruce Arians was candid.
"I have them every week," Arians answered with a chuckle.
"I always get a tear in my eye for the national anthem," he added.
But this week, week one, is likely to be more nerve-racking than past weeks for Arians, who is an official head coach for the first time in his career. The 60-year-old served as the Indianapolis Colts' interim head coach for the majority of last season, accruing a 9-3 record en route to earning AP Head Coach of the Year honors.
Nonetheless, he's prepared for the challenges his team will face starting the season on the road, facing the noise of the opposition's crowd.
Taking the crowd out of the game early, Arians said, is the ideal.
However, "You've got to plan for just the opposite," he said.
"You've got to plan for something that gets the crowd fired up and you've got to answer the bell."
Last season, the Cardinals went 1-7 on the road, their only away win coming against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium. Arians expects that to change, hoping to instill a new mental toughness in his team.
While he hopes for a big play early on, he's not depending on it.
"It's a lot easier if you can get it down by taking the crowd out," Arians said, "but you've got to be prepared to fight it for 60 minutes."
- Arizona Cardinals' Alex Okafor: Transition to linebacker is complete
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.