Most experts picking the St. Louis Rams to beat the Arizona Cardinals in Week 1
The Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league, but most experts still like their chances at home against the Cardinals this week.
On ESPN, only two out of 14 experts think the Cardinals will win in Week 1.
On CBSSports.com, the Cardinals fared a little better: Four out of eight analysts think they will win this week.
Pete Prisco, who thinks the Rams will win 27-21, had this to say:
These two are improved from a year ago, and one of them might be able to make a playoff push. Both teams have good defenses, so it's all about the quarterback play. Carson Palmer and Sam Bradford have to get off to good starts. I think it will be Bradford who does it in the home opener here. The Rams pass rush might be too much for Palmer.
On Yahoo! Sports, both Frank Schwab and Les Carpenter pick the Rams to win.
On Fox Sports, only one of five experts picked Arizona to prevail in St. Louis.
Don Banks of Sports Illustrated picks St. Louis to win 27-20.
Watch the two rookies in this one: Rams receiver Tavon Austin and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu. They should go head-to-head plenty when Austin lines up in the slot. I bet they both make their share of plays, but Austin and the Rams will make a few more.
Both writers on NBC Sports' Pro Football Talk pick St. Louis to win. PFT's Michael David Smith says it will be a close, low-scoring game (17-12 Rams), but Mike Florio thinks St. Louis will win 30-20.
Both teams have improved, even though it may not be enough to contend with the Seahawks and 49ers. For now, the Rams are better at more positions than Arizona — with an offense that can be prolific and a defense that is underrated. St. Louis went 4-1-1 in the division last year. They start 2013 at 1-0 in the NFC West.
It's clear the Cardinals head into St. Louis as the underdog, at least according to media experts, against a similarly matched Rams squad.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.