Most experts picking the St. Louis Rams to beat the Arizona Cardinals in Week 1
The Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league, but most experts still like their chances at home against the Cardinals this week.
On ESPN, only two out of 14 experts think the Cardinals will win in Week 1.
On CBSSports.com, the Cardinals fared a little better: Four out of eight analysts think they will win this week.
Pete Prisco, who thinks the Rams will win 27-21, had this to say:
These two are improved from a year ago, and one of them might be able to make a playoff push. Both teams have good defenses, so it's all about the quarterback play. Carson Palmer and Sam Bradford have to get off to good starts. I think it will be Bradford who does it in the home opener here. The Rams pass rush might be too much for Palmer.
On Yahoo! Sports, both Frank Schwab and Les Carpenter pick the Rams to win.
On Fox Sports, only one of five experts picked Arizona to prevail in St. Louis.
Don Banks of Sports Illustrated picks St. Louis to win 27-20.
Watch the two rookies in this one: Rams receiver Tavon Austin and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu. They should go head-to-head plenty when Austin lines up in the slot. I bet they both make their share of plays, but Austin and the Rams will make a few more.
Both writers on NBC Sports' Pro Football Talk pick St. Louis to win. PFT's Michael David Smith says it will be a close, low-scoring game (17-12 Rams), but Mike Florio thinks St. Louis will win 30-20.
Both teams have improved, even though it may not be enough to contend with the Seahawks and 49ers. For now, the Rams are better at more positions than Arizona — with an offense that can be prolific and a defense that is underrated. St. Louis went 4-1-1 in the division last year. They start 2013 at 1-0 in the NFC West.
It's clear the Cardinals head into St. Louis as the underdog, at least according to media experts, against a similarly matched Rams squad.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.