Arizona Cardinals' Darnell Dockett: Captain, but not role model
Dockett and Larry Fitzgerald joined the team as part of their 2003 draft class, and the duo has seen the highest of highs and plenty of lows during their decade in the desert.
And both, not surprisingly, were voted team captains by their teammates for the 2012 campaign.
"It's an honor, I'm very thankful for my teammates looking at me in that nature," Dockett said following practice Thursday. "I'm going to do the best I can to lead by example, but again, I'm not a role model.
"I don't want anybody to think I'm a role model. I want to be the best leader I can possibly be to my guys on the football field, on and off, but I'm still going to 'do Dockett' every now and then. As long as we're cool with that, I'm alright."
Despite Dockett's proclamation, Fitzgerald says his teammate is definitely a guy you want on your side.
"If you're going to be in a dark alley and you can only pick one guy, he's one of the guys you would want in your corner," he said. "On Sunday, there's nobody that plays harder and with more tenacity than he does."
On the field, the Cardinals will be looking for more production from Dockett. Last season, the veteran had just 34 total tackles and 1.5 sacks -- his lowest totals since 2005.
Dockett has voiced his approval of new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles' system, which allows for defensive lineman like himself to make plays instead of occupying blockers to free up others for tackles.
The former Florida State star is also ready to get back to pressuring the quarterback along with the other members of the D-line.
"Our defensive line has to play well, week-in, week-out," he said. "I don't think no team in the NFL wants to dial up a blitz every down just to get pressure -- you want your defensive line to create pressure and let your guys cover, do what they do best."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.