Patrick Peterson gives Arizona Cardinals depth chart flexibility
Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts and Jaron Brown make up the group of wideouts, while the cornerbacks are Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Antoine Cason, Justin Bethel, Javier Arenas and Jamell Fleming.
But really, it's more like five wide receivers and six defensive backs, because Patrick Peterson plays both positions.
A third-year pro, Peterson spent a considerable amount of time this training camp working on his offensive game, and he's progressed to a point where the head coach does not see a need to add another "real" receiver to the roster.
"We practiced him a bunch, and being able to six corners, he can fill in a couple spots on offense," Arians said Monday.
So, the first-year head coach said the team is set at the WR spot, unless a "very special" player becomes available, and it's something Peterson feels is "pretty cool."
"I kind of teased Larry (Fitzgerald) today about it," Peterson said Monday. "He's like, 'technically, you're our fifth receiver.'"
Peterson views playing on both sides of the football as a great opportunity that will allow him to continue to grow as a player. But to play both sides, Peterson admitted he's had to adjust how he prepares for the season.
"I want to continue taking care of my body, my legs in general," he said. "Because at the end of the day, those are my money-makers.
"And especially being a defensive back going backwards and going to offense running forward, you can have a lot of hamstring injuries, so I want to make sure I take care of my lower half of my body and continue to get in the cold tub and doing all the necessary preparation I need to do to make sure that I'm ready for Sunday."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.