Patrick Peterson gives Arizona Cardinals depth chart flexibility
Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts and Jaron Brown make up the group of wideouts, while the cornerbacks are Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Antoine Cason, Justin Bethel, Javier Arenas and Jamell Fleming.
But really, it's more like five wide receivers and six defensive backs, because Patrick Peterson plays both positions.
A third-year pro, Peterson spent a considerable amount of time this training camp working on his offensive game, and he's progressed to a point where the head coach does not see a need to add another "real" receiver to the roster.
"We practiced him a bunch, and being able to six corners, he can fill in a couple spots on offense," Arians said Monday.
So, the first-year head coach said the team is set at the WR spot, unless a "very special" player becomes available, and it's something Peterson feels is "pretty cool."
"I kind of teased Larry (Fitzgerald) today about it," Peterson said Monday. "He's like, 'technically, you're our fifth receiver.'"
Peterson views playing on both sides of the football as a great opportunity that will allow him to continue to grow as a player. But to play both sides, Peterson admitted he's had to adjust how he prepares for the season.
"I want to continue taking care of my body, my legs in general," he said. "Because at the end of the day, those are my money-makers.
"And especially being a defensive back going backwards and going to offense running forward, you can have a lot of hamstring injuries, so I want to make sure I take care of my lower half of my body and continue to get in the cold tub and doing all the necessary preparation I need to do to make sure that I'm ready for Sunday."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.