Updated Sep 3, 2013 - 8:23 am
Rashard Mendenhall 'more than ready' for Arizona Cardinals' season opener
But that doesn't mean the newly-acquired running back won't play in the team's season opener Sunday against the St. Louis Rams. In fact, it's just the opposite.
"Rashard, I didn't let him go today, but he's more than ready," Arians announced after Monday's practice. "And Ryan (Williams) is full speed, so we're fully healthy at running back."
Mendenhall, who signed in the offseason as a free agent from Pittsburgh, ran well in the preseason, gaining 79 yards on 13 carries (6.1 yards per attempt). But he did leave the Cardinals' third preseason game against San Diego with what was described as "looseness" in his right knee.
The six-year veteran underwent an MRI following the San Diego game, but it came back negative.
Mendenhall ran for just 182 yards on 51 carries in an injury-plagued season for Pittsburgh in 2012. In five seasons with the Steelers, he ran for 3,549 yards on 864 carries while scoring 29 touchdowns.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Cardinals WRs Brown, Golden and Powell fail to make case in final preseason game
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.