Arizona Cardinals place Jonathan Cooper on injured reserve
Cooper, who broke his left leg in the team's third preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, was placed on season-ending injured reserve Friday.
"Probably the only difference so far is the decision to put Jonathan on IR rather than wait with the prognosis," head coach Bruce Arians said Friday. "The latest prognosis would be 12 [weeks] at the earliest, and I just don't feel like it's fair to our football team in case we get somebody who can come back sooner if there is another injury.
"We felt we needed to keep that spot open. As much as we want to get Jonathan back, the chances of him getting back and getting in football shape weren't as realistic as we had hoped for."
It's a tough blow for both the team and player. Taken with the seventh pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was expected to help anchor a revamped offensive line.
"He's disappointed in the whole situation," Arians said of Cooper. "His biggest thing right now is getting off that bicycle he's carrying his leg on and trying to get healthy."
- Arizona Cardinals don't want to be NFC West's 'stepchild' any longer
- Arizona Cardinals will have Andre Ellington back on the field vs. Rams
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 6
- A different kind of measuring stick awaits Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' coach expects 'questionable' Carson Palmer to play Sunday vs. St. Louis Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?