Arizona Cardinals place Jonathan Cooper on injured reserve
Cooper, who broke his left leg in the team's third preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, was placed on season-ending injured reserve Friday.
"Probably the only difference so far is the decision to put Jonathan on IR rather than wait with the prognosis," head coach Bruce Arians said Friday. "The latest prognosis would be 12 [weeks] at the earliest, and I just don't feel like it's fair to our football team in case we get somebody who can come back sooner if there is another injury.
"We felt we needed to keep that spot open. As much as we want to get Jonathan back, the chances of him getting back and getting in football shape weren't as realistic as we had hoped for."
It's a tough blow for both the team and player. Taken with the seventh pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was expected to help anchor a revamped offensive line.
"He's disappointed in the whole situation," Arians said of Cooper. "His biggest thing right now is getting off that bicycle he's carrying his leg on and trying to get healthy."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b