Ryan Lindley makes case for Arizona Cardinals to keep three quarterbacks
If you're asking Ryan Lindley, he hopes the Arizona Cardinals choose the latter option.
And outside of Arizona's first offensive series Thursday night, the second-year quarterback was given every opportunity to make that decision an easy one for Bruce Arians and his coaching staff.
Although he was going up against the Denver Broncos' second and third-team defensive units, the former San Diego State standout ran with his chance in the Cardinals' preseason finale.
Lindley, who threw seven interceptions in six games last season, completed 17 of 27 passes for 214 yards and two touchdowns.
"I thought Ryan looked extremely sharp," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi. "He could have probably had a higher rating if a couple of guys would have ran the right routes. I thought he handled himself with great poise and confidence and made a great showing for himself."
The 24-year-old's first touchdown pass of the night came on a beautiful 55-yard throw to Jaron Brown in the third quarter, which tied the score at 17.
In the fourth quarter, Lindley put the Cardinals ahead for good with a 13-yard touchdown pass to veteran wideout Mike Thomas over the middle and a nice connection in the flat to rookie running back Andre Ellington for a two-point conversion.
The two touchdown passes were the first two of his NFL career.
Whether three-plus quarters of quality quarterbacking are enough to keep Lindley on a roster behind Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton remains to be seen.
But after Thursday night's performance, he has enough tape to potentially attract other NFL teams should he fail to make Arizona's Week 1 roster.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.