Updated Aug 29, 2013 - 8:01 am
Is Jerraud Powers the Arizona Cardinals' best option at CB?
In watching the Cardinals' three preseason games, I can't help but cite cornerback Jerraud Powers as an area of concern. And the more I've looked into his football past, the more my concern grows.
At 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, Powers is a bit undersized, even for a corner.
In four NFL seasons, he's missed large chunks of the schedule each year with various injuries.
Last year, quarterbacks racked up a rating of 105 when throwing directly at Powers.
And the fifth-year veteran's scouting report reads like an NFL horror novel
- Isn't very strong
- Struggles to get off blocks
- Takes too many chances
- Less than ideal size
- Durability concern
Of course, Powers brings positive attributes to the table as well. He's a solid tackler for his size. He was a rookie starter for the Indianapolis Colts the year they nearly went undefeated. And he seems to have impressed the Cardinals coaching staff this preseason.
Still, I can't help but wonder when the Cardinals will grow tempted to see Tyrann Mathieu on the field every down. Ideally, I think they'd like to use the rookie all over the place during the course of a game. Ideally, Powers will lock the down the other corner opposite Peterson. But whether through injury or ineffectiveness, I don't see it happening.
Chuck Powell, KTAR.com & ArizonaSports.com contributor
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.