Updated Aug 29, 2013 - 8:01 am
Is Jerraud Powers the Arizona Cardinals' best option at CB?
In watching the Cardinals' three preseason games, I can't help but cite cornerback Jerraud Powers as an area of concern. And the more I've looked into his football past, the more my concern grows.
At 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, Powers is a bit undersized, even for a corner.
In four NFL seasons, he's missed large chunks of the schedule each year with various injuries.
Last year, quarterbacks racked up a rating of 105 when throwing directly at Powers.
And the fifth-year veteran's scouting report reads like an NFL horror novel
- Isn't very strong
- Struggles to get off blocks
- Takes too many chances
- Less than ideal size
- Durability concern
Of course, Powers brings positive attributes to the table as well. He's a solid tackler for his size. He was a rookie starter for the Indianapolis Colts the year they nearly went undefeated. And he seems to have impressed the Cardinals coaching staff this preseason.
Still, I can't help but wonder when the Cardinals will grow tempted to see Tyrann Mathieu on the field every down. Ideally, I think they'd like to use the rookie all over the place during the course of a game. Ideally, Powers will lock the down the other corner opposite Peterson. But whether through injury or ineffectiveness, I don't see it happening.
Chuck Powell, KTAR.com & ArizonaSports.com contributor
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- John Brown is like…
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.