Updated Aug 29, 2013 - 8:01 am
Is Jerraud Powers the Arizona Cardinals' best option at CB?
In watching the Cardinals' three preseason games, I can't help but cite cornerback Jerraud Powers as an area of concern. And the more I've looked into his football past, the more my concern grows.
At 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, Powers is a bit undersized, even for a corner.
In four NFL seasons, he's missed large chunks of the schedule each year with various injuries.
Last year, quarterbacks racked up a rating of 105 when throwing directly at Powers.
And the fifth-year veteran's scouting report reads like an NFL horror novel
- Isn't very strong
- Struggles to get off blocks
- Takes too many chances
- Less than ideal size
- Durability concern
Of course, Powers brings positive attributes to the table as well. He's a solid tackler for his size. He was a rookie starter for the Indianapolis Colts the year they nearly went undefeated. And he seems to have impressed the Cardinals coaching staff this preseason.
Still, I can't help but wonder when the Cardinals will grow tempted to see Tyrann Mathieu on the field every down. Ideally, I think they'd like to use the rookie all over the place during the course of a game. Ideally, Powers will lock the down the other corner opposite Peterson. But whether through injury or ineffectiveness, I don't see it happening.
Chuck Powell, KTAR.com & ArizonaSports.com contributor
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Report says Andre Roberts agrees to deal with Redskins
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?