Updated Aug 29, 2013 - 8:01 am
Is Jerraud Powers the Arizona Cardinals' best option at CB?
In watching the Cardinals' three preseason games, I can't help but cite cornerback Jerraud Powers as an area of concern. And the more I've looked into his football past, the more my concern grows.
At 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, Powers is a bit undersized, even for a corner.
In four NFL seasons, he's missed large chunks of the schedule each year with various injuries.
Last year, quarterbacks racked up a rating of 105 when throwing directly at Powers.
And the fifth-year veteran's scouting report reads like an NFL horror novel
- Isn't very strong
- Struggles to get off blocks
- Takes too many chances
- Less than ideal size
- Durability concern
Of course, Powers brings positive attributes to the table as well. He's a solid tackler for his size. He was a rookie starter for the Indianapolis Colts the year they nearly went undefeated. And he seems to have impressed the Cardinals coaching staff this preseason.
Still, I can't help but wonder when the Cardinals will grow tempted to see Tyrann Mathieu on the field every down. Ideally, I think they'd like to use the rookie all over the place during the course of a game. Ideally, Powers will lock the down the other corner opposite Peterson. But whether through injury or ineffectiveness, I don't see it happening.
Chuck Powell, KTAR.com & ArizonaSports.com contributor
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?