Updated Aug 29, 2013 - 8:01 am
Is Jerraud Powers the Arizona Cardinals' best option at CB?
In watching the Cardinals' three preseason games, I can't help but cite cornerback Jerraud Powers as an area of concern. And the more I've looked into his football past, the more my concern grows.
At 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, Powers is a bit undersized, even for a corner.
In four NFL seasons, he's missed large chunks of the schedule each year with various injuries.
Last year, quarterbacks racked up a rating of 105 when throwing directly at Powers.
And the fifth-year veteran's scouting report reads like an NFL horror novel
- Isn't very strong
- Struggles to get off blocks
- Takes too many chances
- Less than ideal size
- Durability concern
Of course, Powers brings positive attributes to the table as well. He's a solid tackler for his size. He was a rookie starter for the Indianapolis Colts the year they nearly went undefeated. And he seems to have impressed the Cardinals coaching staff this preseason.
Still, I can't help but wonder when the Cardinals will grow tempted to see Tyrann Mathieu on the field every down. Ideally, I think they'd like to use the rookie all over the place during the course of a game. Ideally, Powers will lock the down the other corner opposite Peterson. But whether through injury or ineffectiveness, I don't see it happening.
Chuck Powell, KTAR.com & ArizonaSports.com contributor
- Arizona Cardinals wrap up preseason with some telling stats: By The Numbers
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Cardinals WRs Brown, Golden and Powell fail to make case in final preseason game
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.