Fight to make Arizona Cardinals' roster enters its final round
Teams must reduce rosters to a league-mandated 53 players by 3:00 p.m. MST Saturday, giving many one final audition to showcase their skills.
"I approach it like any other game," wide receiver Jaron Brown said of the Cardinals' preseason finale at Denver Thursday. "I'm just trying to go out there and be the best receiver I can be, a complete receiver and just have a complete game."
Receiver, tight end, cornerback, safety as well as the offensive line were the positions head coach Bruce Arians identified as having yet to be solidified.
"There's about four or five spots that are up for grabs still," he said Tuesday.
Now while this one last game likely won't be the determining factor in a player's fate, it will be added to what Arians has often referred to as a player's résumé: How well they play, how well they practice, how well they study in meetings.
"I don't necessarily feel like I am fighting (for a roster spot)," cornerback Bryan McCann said. "I understand what's at stake, but I can't go out there and try and be some player that I'm not. I got to do what I can do. If it's good enough to be here, then I will be; and if not, then I won't."
And even if a player does survive Saturday, that may not mean they have survived the weekend. Once those final cuts are made, teams will begin to scan the waiver wire.
"That's the other thing that we can't put into account because you don't know who's going to be on it," Arians said. "That's always a tough decision to grab somebody that hasn't been with you over somebody who has been. There will be two or three guys and I'll say, ‘Look, you're here. It could be a practice squad spot by Thursday.'"
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.