Tight end Richard Quinn looking to catch on with Arizona Cardinals
The four-year veteran was cut by the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday and found a new home, signing with the Arizona Cardinals just two days later.
"Yeah, this is the first phone call I got," Quinn said following practice Tuesday. "I got here right away. I'm glad to be here, first day of practice I tried to get acclimated to everything."
Quinn says coming to Arizona is more than just a change of jersey color.
"I remember checking the weather before I got here, I just was curious to see about this Arizona temperature, and I was like 'wow!' My biggest thing is trying to stay hydrated and get acclimated to the weather," he said.
Quinn joins a group of Cardinals tight ends that are competing for jobs. Outside of starter Rob Housler, who injured an ankle during Saturday's loss to the San Diego Chargers, there is plenty of uncertainty on the depth chart.
"I'm just trying to compete, I'm not really worried about too much," Quinn said. "I'm just trying to learn the system as quickly as I can and get ready for the season."
It also didn't take long for the newest Cardinal to catch his coach's eye.
"He's a thumper, you know, a tight end blocker," head coach Bruce Arians said. "He caught a couple good balls at practice today, so he's got a chance."
Quinn played in two preseason games for the Bengals before his release, catching two passes for 19 yards.
In his NFL career, he has one receptions for nine yards.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves