Tight end Richard Quinn looking to catch on with Arizona Cardinals
The four-year veteran was cut by the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday and found a new home, signing with the Arizona Cardinals just two days later.
"Yeah, this is the first phone call I got," Quinn said following practice Tuesday. "I got here right away. I'm glad to be here, first day of practice I tried to get acclimated to everything."
Quinn says coming to Arizona is more than just a change of jersey color.
"I remember checking the weather before I got here, I just was curious to see about this Arizona temperature, and I was like 'wow!' My biggest thing is trying to stay hydrated and get acclimated to the weather," he said.
Quinn joins a group of Cardinals tight ends that are competing for jobs. Outside of starter Rob Housler, who injured an ankle during Saturday's loss to the San Diego Chargers, there is plenty of uncertainty on the depth chart.
"I'm just trying to compete, I'm not really worried about too much," Quinn said. "I'm just trying to learn the system as quickly as I can and get ready for the season."
It also didn't take long for the newest Cardinal to catch his coach's eye.
"He's a thumper, you know, a tight end blocker," head coach Bruce Arians said. "He caught a couple good balls at practice today, so he's got a chance."
Quinn played in two preseason games for the Bengals before his release, catching two passes for 19 yards.
In his NFL career, he has one receptions for nine yards.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!