Cardinals TE Rob Housler cautiously optimistic for quick return
In the second quarter of Arizona's 24-7 loss to San Diego, he dropped a potential touchdown pass from quarterback Carson Palmer in the end zone. Then, in the third quarter, Housler was forced to leave the game with what was eventually diagnosed as a high ankle sprain.
It's a big blow for both Housler and the team as he is expected to play a key role in the Cardinals' revamped offense.
Housler, who led Arizona's tight ends in receiving last year with 412 yards, has sat atop the depth chart at tight end for all of training camp. As for when he'll get back on the field, he said it was still too early to determine exactly how much time he'll miss, as he's waiting on the doctors for more information.
"I think I'll have a better grasp of it after the swelling goes down," Housler explained. He added that barring any setbacks he doesn't expect to miss much more than a few weeks, the typical time it takes to recover from that injury.
"Coming off the field, you always think you can play through a lot of that stuff," Housler said when asked if he knew how serious the injury was when it happened. "I wanted to be optimistic about it."
Housler was one of two offensive starters injured during Saturday's game, as the team also lost starting guard and rookie first-rounder Jonathan Cooper to a broken leg.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.