Updated Aug 26, 2013 - 4:09 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Ryan Williams will get another chance to prove himself
"It felt good to finally get out there for a game, get some reps," Williams added.
Williams ran for 10 yards on just two carries, and while the numbers are not exactly noteworthy, the fact that he feels good a couple of days after his first game action is reason to be pleased.
After all, Williams is fighting an uphill battle for a spot on the 53-man roster, one that has been made all the more difficult by his injury history.
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the coaches need to see more of Williams, so he will start the final preseason game Thursday, which is something the former second-round pick is fine with.
"Whatever they're willing to give me to show this team that I still got it, and go from there," he said.
As it stands, this may be Williams' final shot with the team that drafted him out of Virginia Tech. Play well, and maybe they keep him as part of a crowded backfield that includes Rashard Mendenhall, Alfonso Smith, Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington. If not, who knows.
"Every game is big when you're out there," Williams said of the importance of this game. "But me and my history, with this training camp, this past training camp, haven't really shown my face a lot.
"So it's pretty big to go out there and show what I'm capable of doing."
Williams, who said this camp -- and his career -- has been filled with far more downs than ups, feels like he has not had much of a chance to show what he can do. All the missed time has left him behind in trying to impress a new coaching staff.
"Sometimes you've just got to go prove yourself, and at this time -- it was an important time that I missed a lot of time," he said. "So I've just got to to out there and show what I'm capable of doing."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.