Updated Aug 26, 2013 - 4:08 pm
Arizona Cardinals coach: Running game a bright spot in Saturday's loss
Besides the loss, his Arizona Cardinals struggled with penalties, catching the football and injuries.
However, one positive to come from the team's third preseason game was the running game, which accounted for 120 yards on just 18 carries.
Rashard Mendenhall led the way with 47 yards on six totes, but Alfonso Smith, Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington all had some success, too.
"It was an excellent job of the blocking unit -- including the wide receivers," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday. "They did a much better job blocking their guys, and then the longer runs started to show up."
Arians added that he knows Mendenhall, who played for him in Pittsburgh, understands the team's offense, but it was good to see the other backs make strides there, too.
"They're starting to see when to bounce it, when to cut it back and where the creases are going to be and trusting it," he said. "It was a much better performance, as far as our whole blocking unit."
But besides just seeing the production, Arians noted it was good to see Williams back on the field and playing well. The third-year pro had missed most of training camp battling knee soreness, and seems to have a tenuous hold on a roster spot. In fact, it's been reported that he is currently being shopped in hopes of a trade.
"I was really happy; Ryan looked like himself," Arians said. "He hit it up in there good, and he's going to start this week and try to catch him back up to speed."
As for the trade talk?
"As I told the guys," Arians mused, "the only thing we're preparing him for is help him help me shop for my groceries."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?