Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Jonathan Cooper could return this season
"I think 10 would be stretching it, but 12 weeks would potentially give him six games (this season)," the coach told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday.
The team's first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was penciled in to be the team's starting left guard this season. Veteran Daryn Colledge, who battled an injury early in camp but was to play right guard, will move into Cooper's spot, and Paul Fanaika will move into Colledge's.
"Daryn Colledge's injury was a blessing now, because we got to look at Paul and we're convinced Paul can win," Arians said. "And then that competition made Daryn better when he got back. Now, we know Daryn can play left guard, and Daryn knows he can play left guard...that part shouldn't be a problem."
Arians' faith stems from the depth the team built in the offseason and is continuing to build. But, while the coach said you don't like to see that depth tested via injury, he believes his offensive line can withstand losing Cooper for an extended period of time.
"We feel very comfortable where we're at right now," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Despite interest from Cardinals, linebacker James Harrison retires
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Report: Bengals cornerback fined for hit on Arizona Cardinals' Ted Ginn
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.