Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Jonathan Cooper could return this season
"I think 10 would be stretching it, but 12 weeks would potentially give him six games (this season)," the coach told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday.
The team's first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was penciled in to be the team's starting left guard this season. Veteran Daryn Colledge, who battled an injury early in camp but was to play right guard, will move into Cooper's spot, and Paul Fanaika will move into Colledge's.
"Daryn Colledge's injury was a blessing now, because we got to look at Paul and we're convinced Paul can win," Arians said. "And then that competition made Daryn better when he got back. Now, we know Daryn can play left guard, and Daryn knows he can play left guard...that part shouldn't be a problem."
Arians' faith stems from the depth the team built in the offseason and is continuing to build. But, while the coach said you don't like to see that depth tested via injury, he believes his offensive line can withstand losing Cooper for an extended period of time.
"We feel very comfortable where we're at right now," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?