Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Jonathan Cooper could return this season
"I think 10 would be stretching it, but 12 weeks would potentially give him six games (this season)," the coach told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday.
The team's first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was penciled in to be the team's starting left guard this season. Veteran Daryn Colledge, who battled an injury early in camp but was to play right guard, will move into Cooper's spot, and Paul Fanaika will move into Colledge's.
"Daryn Colledge's injury was a blessing now, because we got to look at Paul and we're convinced Paul can win," Arians said. "And then that competition made Daryn better when he got back. Now, we know Daryn can play left guard, and Daryn knows he can play left guard...that part shouldn't be a problem."
Arians' faith stems from the depth the team built in the offseason and is continuing to build. But, while the coach said you don't like to see that depth tested via injury, he believes his offensive line can withstand losing Cooper for an extended period of time.
"We feel very comfortable where we're at right now," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!