Arizona Cardinals' kicker Dan Carpenter happy to have a new opportunity
Dan Carpenter was cut last Wednesday by the Miami Dolphins -- the team that first gave him an opportunity as an undrafted rookie out of Montana in 2008.
Monday, Carpenter became a father for the first time and Wednesday, he was signed by the Arizona Cardinals to a one-year contract.
"It's been a little bit of a tornado the last five days or so," the kicker said following Wednesday's practice at University of Phoenix Stadium. Carpenter wore #2 on his red practice jersey and did nothing more than observe his new teammates.
"They didn't want me to hop off a five-hour plane ride and have to come out here and kick."
Carpenter had been the Dolphins' placekicker since winning a training camp competition with Jay Feely, the Cardinals' incumbent kicker. But he lost the job this year to Caleb Sturgis, a fifth-round draft pick out of Florida.
"It's kind of a little déjà vu," he said. "I feel a little bit like a rookie again, not knowing a lot of the guys. I do know a few more faces than I did six year ago."
Feely drew the ire of Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians after missing a 30-yard field goal in last week's 12-7 preseason win over the Dallas Cowboys. The first-year head coach said he had a talk with Feely and called the miss "unacceptable."
Carpenter knows that roster competition is a huge part of life in the NFL, and it's nothing personal against Feely, despite the history that exists between the two.
"He's a great guy, he's a great competitor -- obviously he's a great kicker, he's been in this league for many, many years -- more than I have, so it'll be fun," he said.
Reports circulated earlier Wednesday that the Cardinals were one of several teams interested in securing the five-year veteran's services so late in camp.
"There were a few teams that actually we had been talking to, but it all came down to where I felt like I had the best opportunity to help the team out," Carpenter said.
And the fact that the Cardinals' home stadium is a dome was a factor as well.
"It's not a negative thing," he laughed.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!