Mike Thomas could back up Patrick Peterson
Peterson as a receiver brings the one element to the Cardinals offense that is sorely missing: speed. Peterson can run by cornerbacks, which takes the top off the secondary and loosens it up for other receivers. Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd are deep threats because of their vertical game, but not because of their speed.
Enter Mike Thomas.
The volatile wide receiver was cut from the Detroit Lions -- after he was drafted, extended and traded by the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Cardinals signed Thomas Tuesday and he brings speed to Bruce Arians' master plan. Thomas has run a legitimate 4.3 forty and has been productive in the league.
Thomas was a 4th round pick. He led the Jaguars in receptions in 2010 and 2011 with 66 and 44, respectively. Although those numbers aren't mind-bending by any standard, the Jaguars haven't had quarterback production in years. The Jaguars thought he took his foot off the gas and traded him to the Detroit Lions for a 2014 5th round draft pick in 2012.
Knowing the Cardinals can only play Peterson offensively between 10-15 snaps per game, Thomas could be Peterson's stand-in while he's resting on the bench. The Cards want somebody to vertically stretch the secondary and open their offense up. I have no idea if Thomas will make the team, but as it stands now, he looks like Peterson's backup.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.