Updated Aug 21, 2013 - 2:06 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign kicker Dan Carpenter
The Cardinals have brought in veteran Dan Carpenter on a one-year deal to compete with Jay Feely for the team's placekicking job.
Carpenter, who spent five years in Miami, was released by the team last week. Rookie Caleb Sturgis is expected to take over the kicking duties for the Dolphins.
"Healthy competition only makes us better," head coach Bruce Arians said. "We've been consistent that whenever there's the potential to make our football team better we're going to explore that opportunity."
Last season, Carpenter connected on all 26 of his extra points and 22-of-27 field goal attempts, including two from 50 yards or more.
Feely has been with the Cardinals since 2010 and has been reliable. In 2012, the 37-year-old hit 25-of-28 field goal attempts.
But in last Saturday's preseason win over the Dallas Cowboys, Feely missed a 30-yard attempt which head coach Bruce Arians called "unacceptable."
It is interesting to note that when Carpenter was a rookie in 2008, he beat out Feely for the Dolphins' kicking job. Feely hooked on with the New York Jets and spent two seasons with them before signing with the Cardinals in 2010.
As a result of signing Carpenter, the team released wide receivers Robby Toma and Robert Gill.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.