Updated Aug 21, 2013 - 2:06 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign kicker Dan Carpenter
The Cardinals have brought in veteran Dan Carpenter on a one-year deal to compete with Jay Feely for the team's placekicking job.
Carpenter, who spent five years in Miami, was released by the team last week. Rookie Caleb Sturgis is expected to take over the kicking duties for the Dolphins.
"Healthy competition only makes us better," head coach Bruce Arians said. "We've been consistent that whenever there's the potential to make our football team better we're going to explore that opportunity."
Last season, Carpenter connected on all 26 of his extra points and 22-of-27 field goal attempts, including two from 50 yards or more.
Feely has been with the Cardinals since 2010 and has been reliable. In 2012, the 37-year-old hit 25-of-28 field goal attempts.
But in last Saturday's preseason win over the Dallas Cowboys, Feely missed a 30-yard attempt which head coach Bruce Arians called "unacceptable."
It is interesting to note that when Carpenter was a rookie in 2008, he beat out Feely for the Dolphins' kicking job. Feely hooked on with the New York Jets and spent two seasons with them before signing with the Cardinals in 2010.
As a result of signing Carpenter, the team released wide receivers Robby Toma and Robert Gill.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.