Updated Aug 21, 2013 - 2:06 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign kicker Dan Carpenter
The Cardinals have brought in veteran Dan Carpenter on a one-year deal to compete with Jay Feely for the team's placekicking job.
Carpenter, who spent five years in Miami, was released by the team last week. Rookie Caleb Sturgis is expected to take over the kicking duties for the Dolphins.
"Healthy competition only makes us better," head coach Bruce Arians said. "We've been consistent that whenever there's the potential to make our football team better we're going to explore that opportunity."
Last season, Carpenter connected on all 26 of his extra points and 22-of-27 field goal attempts, including two from 50 yards or more.
Feely has been with the Cardinals since 2010 and has been reliable. In 2012, the 37-year-old hit 25-of-28 field goal attempts.
But in last Saturday's preseason win over the Dallas Cowboys, Feely missed a 30-yard attempt which head coach Bruce Arians called "unacceptable."
It is interesting to note that when Carpenter was a rookie in 2008, he beat out Feely for the Dolphins' kicking job. Feely hooked on with the New York Jets and spent two seasons with them before signing with the Cardinals in 2010.
As a result of signing Carpenter, the team released wide receivers Robby Toma and Robert Gill.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.