Updated Aug 20, 2013 - 10:56 pm
Arizona Cardinals' secondary showing good hands in preseason
The Cardinals, who allowed a conference-low 3,441 yards in 2012-13 while intercepting 22 passes, have picked off four passes through their first two preseason games. The team's head coach and the secondary's best player believe that's no coincidence, despite the change in personnel over the offseason.
Good hands, head coach Bruce Arians, are a defining characteristic of the unit.
"Some guys are defensive backs because they couldn't play wide receiver," Arians said Tuesday. "That's why they got put at DB in college, because they couldn't catch.
"We don't have that problem. We've got guys who could all play wide receiver."
One such defensive back Arians was referring to, Patrick Peterson, will be a wide receiver this season. And the third-year pro agrees -- he's not the only one who can catch.
"The defensive backs here now take pride in catching the ball," said Peterson following Tuesday's practice.
"We don't want to be known as the typical defensive backs that can't catch balls or can't secure the catch, always tipping down balls and things like that."
The 15 cornerbacks and safeties on the Cardinals preseason roster have a combined 38 interceptions over 36 NFL seasons. And undrafted rookie Tony Jefferson had a pair of picks in Saturday's preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys.
"Every tipped ball should be ours," Arians said.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.