Updated Aug 20, 2013 - 10:56 pm
Arizona Cardinals' secondary showing good hands in preseason
The Cardinals, who allowed a conference-low 3,441 yards in 2012-13 while intercepting 22 passes, have picked off four passes through their first two preseason games. The team's head coach and the secondary's best player believe that's no coincidence, despite the change in personnel over the offseason.
Good hands, head coach Bruce Arians, are a defining characteristic of the unit.
"Some guys are defensive backs because they couldn't play wide receiver," Arians said Tuesday. "That's why they got put at DB in college, because they couldn't catch.
"We don't have that problem. We've got guys who could all play wide receiver."
One such defensive back Arians was referring to, Patrick Peterson, will be a wide receiver this season. And the third-year pro agrees -- he's not the only one who can catch.
"The defensive backs here now take pride in catching the ball," said Peterson following Tuesday's practice.
"We don't want to be known as the typical defensive backs that can't catch balls or can't secure the catch, always tipping down balls and things like that."
The 15 cornerbacks and safeties on the Cardinals preseason roster have a combined 38 interceptions over 36 NFL seasons. And undrafted rookie Tony Jefferson had a pair of picks in Saturday's preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys.
"Every tipped ball should be ours," Arians said.
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!