Arizona Cardinals' Sam Acho looking for consistent improvement in practice
On the good side, the Cardinals have been forcing turnovers at an alarming rate -- two against Green Bay and six last week in a win over Dallas.
The Cardinals' defense has also allowed just one touchdown in two games..
Head coach Bruce Arians said Monday that turnovers are great, but a defense can't live on them. He also said that some things need to be tightened up on the defensive side of the ball -- namely limiting explosive plays by the opposing offense. Linebacker Sam Acho agrees.
"As a defense, we've got to work on doing our assignments better," Acho said following Monday's practice at University of Phoenix Stadium. "We had a lot of big plays, we had a couple busted assignments, so we've got to work on everybody doing their job."
In the preseason opener, the Cardinals allowed a 50-yard completion from Aaron Rodgers to James Jones. Against Dallas, there were three completions of 20 yards or more.
Acho said he saw improvement Monday, but consistency is the goal for coordinator Todd Bowles' defense.
"It went well, but there's still a lot we need to clean up and we've got to start putting together good days so we can consistently be a good team."
Acho and the Cardinals' defense will get another opportunity to improve Saturday night when the San Diego Chargers pay them a visit in Glendale for their third preseason game.
Former Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt is the new offensive coordinator in San Diego, and the Chargers have struggled in their first two preseason tilts. In losses to Seattle and Chicago, the Chargers have averaged 310.5 yards per contest, but have turned the ball over six times and allowed eight quarterback sacks.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.