Arizona Cardinals' Sam Acho looking for consistent improvement in practice
On the good side, the Cardinals have been forcing turnovers at an alarming rate -- two against Green Bay and six last week in a win over Dallas.
The Cardinals' defense has also allowed just one touchdown in two games..
Head coach Bruce Arians said Monday that turnovers are great, but a defense can't live on them. He also said that some things need to be tightened up on the defensive side of the ball -- namely limiting explosive plays by the opposing offense. Linebacker Sam Acho agrees.
"As a defense, we've got to work on doing our assignments better," Acho said following Monday's practice at University of Phoenix Stadium. "We had a lot of big plays, we had a couple busted assignments, so we've got to work on everybody doing their job."
In the preseason opener, the Cardinals allowed a 50-yard completion from Aaron Rodgers to James Jones. Against Dallas, there were three completions of 20 yards or more.
Acho said he saw improvement Monday, but consistency is the goal for coordinator Todd Bowles' defense.
"It went well, but there's still a lot we need to clean up and we've got to start putting together good days so we can consistently be a good team."
Acho and the Cardinals' defense will get another opportunity to improve Saturday night when the San Diego Chargers pay them a visit in Glendale for their third preseason game.
Former Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt is the new offensive coordinator in San Diego, and the Chargers have struggled in their first two preseason tilts. In losses to Seattle and Chicago, the Chargers have averaged 310.5 yards per contest, but have turned the ball over six times and allowed eight quarterback sacks.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Cardinals fans most excited to see division rivals
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.