Arizona Cardinals' GM: Bruce Arians stresses accountability, competitions in camp
The Arizona Cardinals have implemented a new philosophy under head coach Bruce Arians that stresses the importance of accountability.
Cardinals general manager Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Big Red Rage Thursday that Arians possesses a unique coaching style that seems to have resonated with his players.
"He's all about accountability," Keim said. "He's going to press you. He's going to push you. He's going to get the best out of you.
"And at the same time, he's going to do it in a fashion that's going to challenge you every day, and at the end of the day, these guys end up buying in and they love him, and to me that's a special coaching attribute."
It's no secret the energy and vibe under Arians has been different thus far in camp.
Keim said Arians represents the Cardinals brass' no-nonsense mentality. He said they have no tolerance for mental mistakes or guys who aren't playing up to expectations.
"Bruce Arians is the kind of coach who will lay it on them now," Keim explained. "I mean, he will not let that go and as the general manager -- and [president] Michael Bidwill and I have had quite a few talks -- you couldn't ask for anything more."
Keim said the Cardinals' focus this offseason was on creating competitions in camp. He wanted to not only bring in starter help, but also create much-needed depth throughout the team.
"The better your depth gets, the better your competition gets and the more urgency you give your football team," Keim said.
The Cardinals' GM said he and his head coach adhere to the same philosophy regarding performance.
"[Arians] and I have talked about it at great lengths," Keim stated. "What else can you do for these players other than make them realize, ĎListen, this is a business and we have expectations. You should have expectations of yourself and if you can't meet them, we'll find somebody who can.'
"I know that's the cold, hard truth of the business, but at the same time that's the way you get the most out of your players."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!