Arizona Cardinals' GM: Bruce Arians stresses accountability, competitions in camp
The Arizona Cardinals have implemented a new philosophy under head coach Bruce Arians that stresses the importance of accountability.
Cardinals general manager Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Big Red Rage Thursday that Arians possesses a unique coaching style that seems to have resonated with his players.
"He's all about accountability," Keim said. "He's going to press you. He's going to push you. He's going to get the best out of you.
"And at the same time, he's going to do it in a fashion that's going to challenge you every day, and at the end of the day, these guys end up buying in and they love him, and to me that's a special coaching attribute."
It's no secret the energy and vibe under Arians has been different thus far in camp.
Keim said Arians represents the Cardinals brass' no-nonsense mentality. He said they have no tolerance for mental mistakes or guys who aren't playing up to expectations.
"Bruce Arians is the kind of coach who will lay it on them now," Keim explained. "I mean, he will not let that go and as the general manager -- and [president] Michael Bidwill and I have had quite a few talks -- you couldn't ask for anything more."
Keim said the Cardinals' focus this offseason was on creating competitions in camp. He wanted to not only bring in starter help, but also create much-needed depth throughout the team.
"The better your depth gets, the better your competition gets and the more urgency you give your football team," Keim said.
The Cardinals' GM said he and his head coach adhere to the same philosophy regarding performance.
"[Arians] and I have talked about it at great lengths," Keim stated. "What else can you do for these players other than make them realize, ‘Listen, this is a business and we have expectations. You should have expectations of yourself and if you can't meet them, we'll find somebody who can.'
"I know that's the cold, hard truth of the business, but at the same time that's the way you get the most out of your players."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.